Does your water have a funky taste and smell to it?
Have you put a water filter on your kitchen faucet to address your funky water taste and smell issues. If you have, and this has not fixed the problem, then you need to install a whole house water filter.
“I need 24 hour plumbers near me.” Someone who is an expert, who is certified, and who knows what he’s doing. I need a neighborhood plumber.
Things you must know
- Locate the main water feed that comes into your house
- Locate the ball shut-off valve (every homeowner should know this just in case)
- Locate your water meter.
The water comes in through this pipe, and out through to the whole house.
Now, what you want to do is cut into this pipe in two parts.
Start with the pre-filter. The water comes into the filter to the spun-woven cylinder where all particles are picked up. Example… If they work on the water main in the street, or if there is any dirt and rust, it will actually come through to the spun-woven fiber and get trapped here.
At this point we have not done anything for the taste or odor, we have only protected the large cylinder filter.
The large cylinder filter is actually filled with granulated activated carbon, which is actually no different than the filter on your kitchen faucet. This whole house water filter also uses granulated carbon. As the water passes through it, it will clean up the taste and odor and really sweeten up the water, so now all I have to do is pipe it all in.
- Turn the main water valve off.
- Attach a piece of plywood to the wall using a masonry bit and concrete screws, this will serve as a nice base to mount the bracket for the pre-filter.
- It is important to clean the pipes before making any connections. If the pipes are not cleaned before making any connections, the metal solder may not fill the joint properly.
- If there is not a draw out, you can do it the old fashion way by cutting into the pipe and draining the excess water out into a bucket.
- Use adapter fittings to transition the piping from the plastic filter’s housing to the copper.
- Solder away from the filter to avoid melting the plastic.
I put in a shut-off valve (ball valve) as a precautionary measure. Now, there are shut-off valves which should always be in the open position, and there is one bypass valve that should always be in the closed position. The reason for this is because someday the filters will be clogged. If it is collecting impurities, sooner or later it will clog and need service. This bypass shut-off valve has been installed so as to allow you, or another plumber, to shut the other two shut-off valves and to open the bypass shut-off valve so water can continue to flow into the home. This is to be used when the water filtration system is being serviced.
Say “Hello” to your new water filtering system. Time to turn the water on.
Alright, your new whole house water filter is in, the water is back on. I have taken off the filter off the kitchen spout. You now have not only filtered water here, but at every faucet in this house.
You may taste your water now. It tastes really good!